Friends and family of those who have lost someone to addiction gathered to remember Thursday evening at Cumberland County's inaugural candlelight vigil for International Overdose Awareness Day at the county fairgrounds. Video produced by Justin Odendhal
BRIDGETON - A Cumberland County grand jury has indicted a Millville man for allegedly setting on fire items in his garage during a domestic altercation this summer.
William R. Oliver, 39, of the 2400 block of West Main Street, faces trial on a second-degree charge of aggravated arson and third-degree terroristic threats. The incident occurred July 18.
Millville police said Oliver used gasoline to set the fire. His girlfriend extinguished it before police arrived.
A grand jury also has indicted Antwon D. McGriff, 36, of the 100 block of West Lincoln Street in Bridgeton in the Jan. 25, 2016, non-fatal shooting of a man at Country Meadows Trailer Park in South Millville. The victim, Victor Bernal, was shot while sitting in his vehicle.
McGriff was indicted on one count of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault, and single counts of endangering a victim by leaving an injured person, unlawful possession of a handgun, and possession of a handgun for an unlawful purpose.
Other recent indicted cases from Millville include the following.
- Nyshawn B. Mutcherson, 22, of the 800 block of Plum Street in Vineland was indicted on seven counts in a drug and weapon case from July 17. New Jersey State Police arrested Mutcherson, who was jailed pending trial.
Mutcherson allegedly was found with cocaine and heroin as well as an illegal handgun. The indictment alleges two counts each of possession of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of a CDS with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a handgun while committing a CDS offense, and resisting arrest by fleeing from state police.
- Marshall L. Carter, 22, of 200 Wade Boulevard in Millville was indicted on six counts from an alleged robbery at the Alpha Omega Food Market in Millville on July 14.
Carter was indicted on charges of robbery; possession of a shotgun for an unlawful purpose; possession of a prohibited weapon, a sawed-off shotgun; unlawful possession of a shotgun; theft; and aggravated assault. The indictment states between $200 and $500 was taken from the store.
- Javier Perez, 42, of the 700 block of South Sixth Street in Vineland was indicted on charges of eluding Millville police and resisting arrest in an incident June 21. June 21 also happens to be the defendant’s birthday. Officer Shawn Matos reported signaling Perez to stop his vehicle but that the Vineland man tried to escape.
- Tamika L. Woodard, 43, of the 300 block of South 3rd Street in Millville was indicted for resisting arrest and aggravated assault on a police officer. Officer Michael Calchi arrested Woodard on June 24.
- Trayron A. Durham, 19, of the 200 block of South 4th Street in Millville was indicted on counts of resisting arrest and eluding Millville police on July 23. Durham allegedly tried to get away from police after being signaled to stop his vehicle.
Joseph P. Smith; (856) 563-5252; firstname.lastname@example.org