Waterparks, pools and beaches to keep cool in summer 2019
As the summer winds down with the hottest of days, take one last spin around "The Brook at Tibbetts" in Yonkers. Rockland/Westchester Journal News
Here's where to take a dip, put your toes in the sand, or take a spin down a waterslide:
The following Westchester County beaches are open from 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. daily from June 28-Sept. 2. They are closed Mondays and Tuesdays except holidays. No admittance after 6 p.m.
Visit parks.westchestergov.com for additional information including admittance and parking fees and proof of Westchester residency.
- Croton Point Park Beach: 1A Croton Point Ave., Croton-on-Hudson.
- Glen Island Park: 1 Pelham Road, New Rochelle.
- Playland Park Beach: 1 Playland Parkway, Rye.
Rye Town Beach & Park
Through Sept. 2. 95 Dearborn Ave., Rye, 9 a.m. to dusk. This is a popular, guarded sandy white beach on the Long Island Sound, adjacent to Playland Park Beach. Fees for daily access for nonresidents range from $10 to $30 depending on access, parking and days. For a complete list of fees including parking and permits, call 914-967-0965 or visit townofryeny.com
County-owned pools are open through Labor Day, Sept. 2. Swimming hours are 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. with no admittance after 6 p.m. Pools are open seven days a week, except for Playland, which is open Wednesdays through Sundays. Proof of Westchester residency is required for all pools except Playland . Go to parks.westchestergov.com for fees, parking and more information.
- Playland Park Beach, 1 Playland Parkway, Rye. Admission to the pool does not include admission to Playland Amusement Park.
- Saxon Woods Park: 1800 Mamaroneck Ave., White Plains.
- Sprain Ridge: 149 Jackson Ave., Yonkers.
- Tibbetts Brook Park: 355 Midland Ave., Yonkers.
- Willson's Waves: East Lincoln Ave., Mount Vernon.
FDR State Park
FDR State Park Pool: 2957 Crompound Road, Yorktown Heights. This pool is located in the larger state park which also has boating, picnicking and ball fields. $8 per vehicle, additional $3 per person to use the pool. Open daily to Sept. 2. 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. weekends, 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. 914-245-4434, parks.ny.gov/parks/148
Tallman Pool: The pool club, at the foot of Tallman State Park, is open to New York and New Jersey residents from Memorial Day through Labor Day. In addition to a large adult pool and kiddie pool, there's a sandy beach area to relax and enjoy the river views. The pool area includes a bar and grill and there's live entertainment every Friday and Saturday night. Adult day passes are $15 weekdays, $20 weekends. Kids are $10 weekdays, $15 weekends. Season passes available. www.tallmanpoolclub.com, 845-422-7126
- Rockland Lake State Park Pool: 299 Rockland Lake Road, Valley Cottage. Swimming schedule daily through Aug. 18, 10 a.m.-6:45, weekends and holidays Aug. 18 through Sept. 2, 11 a.m.-5:45 p.m. $8 parking fee per vehicle. $3 pool admission; $5 weekends starting June 30. 845-268-3020, parks.ny.gov/parks
- Bear Mountain State Park Pool: 55 Hessian Dr., Bear Mountain. Open through Labor Day, 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m. weekends, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. weekdays. Admission: $2 plus parking fee. 845-786-2701, parks.ny.gov/parks
- High Tor State Park Pool: 415 South Mountain Road, New City. June 15-Aug. 11. Closed Mondays, Tuesdays. Pool admission: $5 wristbands. No parking fees. 845-634-8074, parks.ny.gov/parks
- Lake Welch Beach: 800 Kanawaukee Road, Stony Point. The beach is open daily through Sept. 2. $10 per vehicle for parking. 845-225-7207, parks.ny.gov/parks
Fahnestock State Park Beach: 1498 Route 301, Carmel. The beach is open daily through Sept. 2. $8 per vehicle for parking. 845-225-7207, parks.ny.gov/parks
SplashDown Beach: 16 Old Route 9W, Fishkill. Featuring wave pools and water slides and the Arctic Plunge Racer — a water-borne drag race where you zoom through enough twists, turns and curves to create a ton of acceleration. $25. Check the website for daily rates, season passes. 845-897-9600, splashdownbeach.com.
Worth the trip
Kartrite Indoor Water Park: The two-acre Kartrite in Sullivan County is the largest indoor water park in New York with 11 water attractions including the Krakken waterslide that twists and turns under the resort's 60,000 square-foot Texlon transparent roofing system. Another has dueling rafts called the Jiggerty-Jaggerty, while the Nor'Easter takes four riders through curves and dips. And yes, you will find all the standard amenities you would find in most waterparks: a lazy river, a surfing simulator and an activity pool for toddlers. The park includes an attached hotel. Limited day passes are available for people not staying over, ranging from $59 to $99. Call for availability. 555 Resorts World Dr., Monticello, 844-527-8748, thekartrite.com/indoor-water-park-ny