Hammonton among airports to benefit from $5.4M grant
TRENTON – The Christie Administration on June 25 announced eight airport grants totaling $5.4 million in state funds to support improvement projects. These funds, which leverage federal funding and airport contributions, will support a total of $6.3 million worth of work.
The Christie Administration has invested more than $28.6 million in New Jersey’s general aviation airports in the past five years, leveraging an additional $56.1 million in grants and $3.9 million from airport owners.
“New Jersey’s public-use airports are a critical piece of New Jersey’s complex and diverse transportation network,” said New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner Jamie Fox. “Support of these facilities through state and federal grants helps promote economic growth. General Aviation is a vital economic engine that supports more than 18,000 well-paying jobs in New Jersey and contributes $1.7 billion to the state's economy each year.”
The grants, provided through the New Jersey Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Multimodal Grants and Programs, will advance runway rehabilitation, taxiway construction, lighting improvements and safety and security at including Trenton-Mercer Airport, Morristown Municipal Airport, Greenwood Lake Airport, Eagles Nest Airport, Central Jersey Regional Airport and Solberg Airport.
In addition, two airports received grants from Federal Aviation Administration to cover 90 percent of the project costs, with NJDOT and airports splitting the remaining 10 percent. Lakewood Airport will receive nearly $70,000 from the FAA.
Hammonton Airport will receive approximately $63,000 from the FAA for the second phase of an obstruction survey and analysis. NJDOT is providing a five percent match in the amount of $3,500 for the project with the remaining five percent being matched by the airport.